In Observance of the South African Women’s Day, our office will be closed on Thursday 9th August, 2018
- List of Observed Holidays 2018: http://www.saembassy.org/observed-holidays/
South African player KEVIN ANDERSON will be playing in the tournament.
“Next week, come watch world No. 5, South African native Kevin Anderson follow up his Wimbledon performance at the Citi Open tennis tournament! The Citi Open swings into action July 28th to August 5th at Rock Creek Park Tennis Center. Visit http://bit.ly/CitiOpenEmbassy for 20% discounted access using promo code SOUTHAFRICA
- When: July 28th to August 5th, 2018
- Where: Rock Creek Tennis Center, Washington, DC
- Read more: http://www.citiopentennis.com/
It is with deep sadness, that the Embassy of the Republic of South Africa hereby informs that Ambassador Billy Modise, former Chief of State Protocol of the Republic of South Africa, , passed away on Wednesday, June 20th, 2018 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
A book of condolences will be opened at the Embassy, located at 3051 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, from Tuesday 26th June to Thursday 28th June, 2018 from 10:00 am to 16:00 pm, for all those wishing to convey their respects to the memory of the late Ambassador Modise.
MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PEACE
The team is scheduled to arrive at Dulles International Airport on Thursday, 31 May 2018 at 08h40. Fans are welcome to be at the airport to receive the team. An open practice session is scheduled for 16:00 – 17:00, followed by a fan engagement and signing session from 17h00 -17h20 at Trinity Washington University on Thursday, 31 May 2018. Fans are encourage to utilise this opportunity to meet the team and wish them well for the game versus Wales.
- Information on the event and tickets can be found at: www.walesvsouthafricarugby.com
- SABC announcement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXmPVxRSREQ
At Kennedy Center Concert Hall, and will be livestreamed.
On Sunday, July 1, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. at the Kennedy Canter Concert Hall , the Serenade! Choral Festival’s “Mandela at 100: Songs of Hope, Justice & Unity” celebration concludes with a truly grand finale, highlighted by individual performances from all participating ensembles, as well as two world premieres commissioned by Classical Movements’ own Eric Daniel Helms New Music Program for the entire 2018 Serenade! mass choir, conducted by Scott Tucker, Artistic Director of the Choral Arts Society of Washington:
- When: Sunday July 1st , 2018
- Where: Kennedy Center Concert Hall (although presented as part of the Millennium Stage concerts).
- Time: 6:00 pm
- Reserve free tickets: http://www.kennedy-center.org/Seating/PriceZones?perfNo=66389&mos=17
- More information: Classical Movements Announces Nelson Mandela Centennial 2018
South Africa’s Ambassador to the USA, Mninwa Johannes Mahlangu, together with the First Minister of Wales, Rt. Hon. Carwyn Jones AM, officially announced a rugby match between their national teams at Washington’s RFK Stadium on 2 June.
During the announcement, Ambassador Mahlangu highlighted that the Government of South Africa will be celebrating the life of our country’s first democratically elected President, Nelson Mandela during this year, the year in which he would have celebrated his 100th birthday. He said, “Madiba was a firm believer in the power of sports to be a unifying force and the ability it has to change lives. South Africa has experienced the unifying power of sports when President Mandela handed over the Webb Ellis trophy to the Springbok captain in 1995. The Springbok rugby team played a vital part in forging the Rainbow Nation and bringing pride and joy to every citizen.”
First Minister of Wales, Carwyn Jones noted, “It is fantastic to be here with the South African Ambassador to the US, Mninwa Johannes Mahlangu, to announce this exciting fixture between our two great countries. Wales and the Springboks have a huge global fan base and I am confident this clash of titans at Washington’s world famous RFK Stadium will help raise the profile of rugby in America. I, for one, can’t wait until June 2.”
- Click here to read the full South African Airways media release: South African Airways Vacations Celebrates Nelson Mandela’s Centenary –
Join us for the Open House
We are excited to welcome you to our Open House “Around the World Embassy Tour” and learn about South Africa, the rainbow nation!
- Where: Embassy of South Africa. 3051 Massachusetts Avenue NW Washington DC 20008
- When: Saturday, May 5, 2018
- Time: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Read more: https://www.culturaltourismdc.org/portal/signature-events