The Smithsonian’s National Museum of African Art will hold its second annual African Art Awards Dinner
“Honor, Inspire and Include” is the theme of this year’s dinner. The dynamic celebration of art, culture and philanthropy will feature artists, speakers and honorees as part of the museum’s larger women’s initiative—a commitment begun in 2012 and launched as a sustained initiative in 2017 to emphasize the creative voices of African women artists through the National Museum of African Art’s collections, research, publications and exhibitions. The 2017 artist honorees are internationally renowned artists Ghada Amer and Mary Sibande and philanthropist Alice Walton.
- When: Friday, Oct. 27, at 6:30 p.m.
- Where: The dinner will take place in the Smithsonian’s iconic Arts and Industries Building on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.
- Tickets are available on the museum’s website or by phone at (202) 633-3773.
- Read more: African Art Awards Dinner release__17 345A
Fort Lauderdale, FL (August 31, 2017) – South African Airways (SAA), the national flag carrier of South Africa and Africa’s most awarded airline, has launched the “See the Beauty of Africa for Less” sale, with low fares from the U.S. to Johannesburg & Cape Town in South Africa, Accra, Ghana and Dakar, Senegal in West Africa. Fares start at $799* round trip (restrictions apply) from Washington, DC (Dulles) to Johannesburg, Cape Town, Accra or Dakar. Fares are also available from New York (JFK) to Johannesburg or Cape Town for just $799*(restrictions apply). These fares, which include taxes and fees, are available for purchase for 6-days only over the Labor Day holiday weekend from August 31 through September 5, for travel October 26 – December 9, 2017, and January 10 – March 31, 2018
“South African Tourism is pleased to join the 2017 Africa Showcase as the official destination partner,” said Bangu Masisi, President, South African Tourism, Americas. “This partnership supports the destination’s value for money and time proposition to grow tourism throughout the region, making it easier for travelers to extend their holidays to our neighboring countries. We are excited to use this platform to raise awareness of South Africa’s variety of affordable and authentic experiences, as we continue to showcase our safari-plus adventures, food and wine offerings, art and culture experiences, and our biggest asset – the warm and welcoming people of South Africa.”
The Africa Showcase is scheduled in the following cities:
- September 7th: Washington DC, at the Key Bridge Marriott 5:30PM – 9:00PM Trade Evening
- September 11th: Toronto, Canada, at the Toronto Marriott Bloor 5:30PM – 9:00PM Trade Evening
- September 13th: Los Angeles, CA at the Marina del Rey Marriott 5:30PM – 9:00PM Trade Evening
Read more: South African Airways Hosts the Africa Showcase for the 9th Consecutive Year
- The Embassy will close at 12:30 PM on Thursday 20th July and Friday 21st July, 2017
We are inviting the public to participate in this volunteer activity inspired by former President Mandela’s life and 67 years of service :
The Embassy of South Africa partner with the United Nations Information Center Group for a clean-up activity along Rock Creek with the Rock Creek Conservancy.
- Day: Tuesday 18 July, 2017
- Time: 10:00am-12:00 pm
- Venue: The section identified is very close to the embassy. Meeting point will be at the trailhead near the intersection of Rock Creek Drive NW and Normanstone Drive NW Washington DC
“Mr Mandela has spent 67 years making the world a better place. We’re asking you for 67 minutes.”
Nelson Mandela’s birthday is on 18 July, and the call is out for people everywhere to celebrate his birthday by acting on the idea that each person has the power to change the world. The idea of Mandela Day www.mandeladay.com was inspired by Nelson Mandela at his 90th birthday celebrations in London’s Hyde Park in 2008 when he said: “It is time for new hands to lift the burdens. It is in your hands now.” The United Nations UN website: www.un.org/mandeladay officially declared 18 July as Nelson Mandela International Day in November 2009, recognising Mandela’s “values and his dedication to the service of humanity” and acknowledging his contribution “to the struggle for democracy internationally and the promotion of a culture of peace throughout the world”.
- Date: Sunday 19th August, 2017
- Venue: Hyatt Regency Atlanta Perimeter at Villa Christina 4000 Summit Blvd NE, Atlanta GA 30019
- Time: 6:00 PM
- Buy ticket: https://sawomensdayatlanta2017.eventbrite.com
TO: ALL JOURNALISTS
MINISTER ZULU TO ADDRESS THE BUSINESS BREAKFAST SESSION ON DOING BUSINESS IN SOUTH AFRICA
Members of the media are invited to attend a Business Breakfast Session that will be addressed by the South African Minister of Small Business Development, Ms Lindiwe Zulu:
- DATE : Thursday, 15 June 2017
- TIME : 07h30 to 09h00
- VENUE : Omni Shoreham Hotel 2500 Calvert St, NW Washington, DC 20008
Minister Zulu will utilise the Session to talk about business opportunities in South Africa and incentives programme. The Minister will also share on opportunities for partnership between big businesses and small businesses.
The Media will have an opportunity following the Session to engage with the Minister.
The South African ambassador to the United States was in Baton Rouge Thursday morning for the re-dedication of the Nelson Mandela College of Government at Southern University….