South African Embassy
Department: Department of Trade and Industry (DTI)
Type of Appointment: Contractual (Two Years – Negotiable)
The Embassy of South Africa in Washington DC is seeking for a full time position, a highly motivated professional to provide general administrative, secretarial and electronic research services for the DTI Section.
The candidate must:
- Be in possession or valid documents to work in the USA
- Have a minimum of 12 years schooling with completion of at least one year Secretarial Diploma/Certificate plus a minimum of three (3) years’ experience as a Secretary or Typist Clerk. A post school qualification or basic knowledge of Economics, Finance or International Trade will be an added advantage.
- Be well organized and able to observe the utmost confidentiality regarding office matters and procedures
- Have the ability to establish priorities, work under pressure and in a team environment, and be able to work effectively with limited supervision
- Have a full command of English including well-developed writing and speaking skills
- Have the ability to use own initiative to ascertain what information is relevant in a political or policy context to the department and South Africa in general (bilaterally and multi-laterally)
- Have strong research and analytical skills
- Submit a valid police clearance prior to the interview.
KEY RESULT AREAS:
SCREEN TELEPHONE AND PERSONAL CALLS
- Receives and initiates calls
- Takes messages
- Manages e-mail correspondence
- Maintains good public relations with all persons
- Develops and fosters client service culture within the Mission
- Provides information of Mission services and information on the Mission processes in line with current procedures
MAKE AND RECORD APPOINTMENTS, PREPARE AGENDAS OR PROGRAMMES FOR MEETINGS
- Prepares agendas or programs for meetings, laying out of forms and reports
- Schedules meetings. Informs all delegates/guests
- Ascertain who will and will not be attending
- Receives and greets guests
- Arranges tea, coffee and other refreshments as required
- Maintains a database of contacts (actual and potential) in relevant field of operation (health/trade/political/administration/consular)
- Provides and prepares information on South Africa to local interlocutors on their relevant field of interest
- Maintains neat office and work environment
- Preparation of programs for transferred officials (meetings, appointments, functions, etc.)
ATTEND AND TAKE MINUTES OF MEETINGS, BOTH IN THE OFFICE AND AT OTHER LOCATIONS. FILE CORRESPONDENCE AND OTHER RECORDS
- Attends and takes minutes of meetings, both in the office and at other locations.
- Directs important enquiries to appropriate people.
- Transcribes notes or data from audiotapes into letters and reports using a word processor
- Keeping meeting records. Develops minutes in accordance with requirements
- Record all decisions, highlights important issues
- Distribute minutes within 24 hours of completion of the meeting.
- Following up on meetings. Distributes documentation. Remind people of commitments.
- Ensures that all documents distributed internally in the Mission and externally are of an adequate professional standard
- Attend external meetings, seminars and related events following a specific brief by the Manager.
OPERATE OFFICE EQUIPMENT SUCH AS PHOTOCOPIERS, FACSIMILE MACHINES, SWITCHBOARD, COMPUTERS
- Maintains office equipment
- Operates office equipment such as photocopiers, facsimile machines, telephone system and computers
- Procures maintenance and repair services to fix faulty equipment
- Orders equipment and supplies for office needs
- Applies safety and security housekeeping
RECEIVE AND PROCESS INCOMING AND OUTGOING MAIL, DRAFT LETTERS AND REPORTS ON BEHALF OF THE MISSION
- Distributes and mail documents
- Receive and process incoming and outgoing mail.
- Process confidential mail and other documents according to approved steps and procedures
- Keep record of stationery stock
- Files correspondence and other records. Maintaining filing systems.
- Conducts Internet searches as required
- Carries out research and scanning of publications on a related subject. Assists in the sourcing of information and updating of information for the official web site, business guidebooks, reports, etc.
ORGANISE BUSINESS ITINERARIES, TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS, CONFERENCES, MEETINGS AND SOCIAL FUNCTIONS
- Organises business itineraries; travel arrangements, conferences, meetings and social functions
- Makes flight and accommodation arrangements according to the Mission’s procedures
- Ensures that accommodation bookings are made in closest vicinity of appointments
- Makes transport arrangements according to the Mission’s procedures
- Provide support and assist in the organisation of conferences
- Prepares expenditure claims
- Setting up appointments. Knowledge of diary and other arrangements of Manager. Keeps travel distances in mind
- Translation and interpretation duties as required
- Assists with the settling in process of newly transferred officials
- Assists Switchboard Operator, Receptionist, Typist, Administration Officer when required or when on leave
- Filing of documents
- Handling of circulars
- Updating of codes and procedure manuals
- Requests quotations
- Receipts of ordered material
- Typing of documents
- Filling of sectional statistics
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Cultural sensitivity skills
- Compliance with Protocol policies and procedures, e.g. how to seat guests at an official table
- Knowledge of basic filing systems and references
- Knowledge of correspondence procedures
- Computer literacy – MS Office™ suite of programmes such as MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint, use of Internet search
- Basic accountancy skills
- Proper telephone etiquette
- Managing stationery and consumables
The following fringe benefits are payable according to prevailing rules as set out in the conditions of service:
- Medical aid (80% of cost)
- Social Security (7.65%) if applicable
- Annual Pension Contribution
- Annual bonus
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Overtime remuneration
Candidates must be willing to be interviewed and tested on basic knowledge and skills. Salary ranges from 30k to 36k annually. Send your application including a covering letter, via fax to (202) 265-1607 or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. All background information provided in the application will have to be documented and verified should you be selected for preliminary or short listing interviews.