2 Responses to logo IEC

  • Zweli says:

    All South Africa citizens aged 16 and older and in possession of an official South African identity document (either a blue barcoded ID book, a smartcard ID or a temporary ID certificate) are eligible to register as voters. This is exactly the problem. The majority of RSA Citizens have passports not IDs. It takes at least six months to receive any document from the Department of Home Affairs if you are in the USA. If passports will be considered, will expired passports be usable?

    • Juan says:

      Dear Zweli
      What do I need to register to vote abroad?

      You must:
      • Be a South African citizen
      • Be at least 16 years old
      • Have a valid South African ID – either the green barcoded ID book OR smart ID card or Temporary ID Certificate
      • Have a valid South African passport.

      Where can I register abroad?

      You must apply in person for registration at your nearest South African embassy, high commission or consulate-general (visit http://www.dirco.gov.za/webmissions/index.html for locations and contact info) during their normal office hours. Please note that it is not possible to register or vote at honorary consuls’ offices.

      When can I register abroad?

      The registration event will take place from 1 to 4 February 2019 for South African citizens abroad.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *