Civic and Immigration Services:

Visas and Passports

©Department of International Relations and Cooperation

Our Areas of Jurisdiction

The Embassy of South Africa is responsible for the states of Alabama, Arkansas, District of Colombia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota and South Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Virginia, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands and Wisconsin.

Attention Visa Applicants

  • Please schedule an appointment to lodge your visa application at the  South African Embassy in  Washington, DC.
  • Applicants must apply in person.
  • No visa is required for USA passport holder for (90) days or less tourism/business visit. 

Schedule your appointment:

Application Requirements:

Notice to Applicants:

There are no parking facilities for the public at the Embassy, although street parking spaces sometime can be found nearby. If you plan to visit the Embassy for consular services, please plan to arrive by public transportation or drop-off. 


Civic Services 

  • NO APPOINTMENT REQUIRED! Applications and collections will only be accommodated Mon-Thurs between 09h30-12h30
  • Civic enquiries: 
  • Telephone enquiries: +1 (202) 528 2879,  Mon-Thurs between 14h00-16h00 and Friday 14h00-15h00.    
  • Application
    forms available online: 

    forms to be requested via prepaid envelope: (These cannot be obtained

    DHA-73 (Passport)

    DHA-9 (Fingerprints for ID & Passport)

    DHA-529 (Determination of RSA Citizenship)

    DHA-24 (Registration of Birth)

    DHA-154 (Birth Certificate)

    DHA-24(a) (Late Registration of Birth)

    DHA-132 (Death Certificate)

    DHA-288 (Affidavit in Support of Birth Registration)

    DHA-130 (Marriage Certificate)

    DHA-1663 (Death Registration)

    DHA-1664 (Retention of RSA Citizenship)

    DHA-1682 (Personal Amendments)

    DHA-1666 (Exemption of RSA Citizenship)

    DHA-196 (Change of Forename/s)

    DHA-526 (Change of Surname/s)


    DHA-246 (Renunciation of Citizenship)

    Click for Application requirements and Forms 

  • Applications for Emergency Travel Certificate, send email to: 
    Please note the following:  
  • DHA-9 Form (fingerprints): requires two signatures, on the front of the form and on the page with fingerprints.
  • First time passport application for an adult (16 years and above) must also submit an application for first ID book.
  • Applicants are welcome to send/collect their applications/documents via prepaid envelope addressed to the Embassy.

Immigration Services  

  • STRICTLY BY APPOINTMENT ONLY (no walk-in).  Appointments will only be accommodated Mon-Thurs between 09h30-12h30. 
  • Lodging and confirmation of appointments: (Email must include travel date, purpose of travel and intended duration of stay in RSA). 
  • Visa telephone enquiries: +1 (202) 528 2874, Mon-Thurs between 14h00-16h00 and Friday 14h00-15h00
       Please note the following:
  • For application forms, visit Home Affairs
  • Ensure that all supporting documents for visa application are ready before requesting an appointment 
  • Applicants must bring confirmation of appointment when lodging application
  • A passport shall have at least two unused pages when presented for purposes of endorsing a port of entry visa or entry or departure stamp.
  • The period of validity of passport shall not be less than 30 days after the foreigner’s intended date of departure from the Republic of South Africa.
  • Anyone who was declared Undesirable person when departing the Republic must submit a written representation for the waiving of undesirability to

Please note:

  • All South Africans including dual citizens abroad must keep their passports valid at all times. It is advisable to apply for your new passport 12 months before expiry of your current passport.
  • South Africans may enter and depart South Africa with their valid South African passports only. A South African citizen entering South Africa with a foreign passport will be subjected to a fine or imprisonment (in terms of South African Citizenship Act, 1995).
  • All birth registration must take place within 30 days of the birth of a child, (in terms of the Births and Death Registration Act, 1992).
  • Persons age 16 years should apply for ID documents before applying for a passport for the first time.
  • DHA 24 (all categories of ages) and DHA-9 have a unique bar code, therefore cannot be downloaded, as an original form is required. To request forms, the following must be noted: A4 (11” x 9”) priority envelope size with at least $7.65 or FedEx or UPS envelope. (A request note specifying the type of form to be added).
  • To request birth registration forms, the age of the applicant (child) must specified on the request note.
  • All applications must be completed in black ink.
  • For more information, visit Home Affairs

What services can South African citizens expect from Consular Officers?

In Emergencies:

  • Non-Financial Humanitarian assistance in emergencies (i.e. situations involving destitution or distress of South African nationals abroad). This includes, providing a support service in hostage cases as well as assistance rendered to South African nationals abroad in cases of political turmoil or natural disasters.
  • In the event of an emergency, we communicate on behalf of South African nationals abroad with the next of kin and/or friends in South Africa.
  • Non-financial assistance for South African nationals who are in hospital abroad, e.g. who may need to be repatriated to SA for urgent medical or professional attention.
  • Communication with the next-of-kin in the event of, e.g. reported death or life threatening illness or injury. We also provide limited logistical assistance with the importation of mortal remains (including import permit applications) or burials of South African nationals abroad. We do not provide financial assistance arising from the death of a South African national abroad.
  • Provide guidance to next-of-kin and liaison with relevant stakeholders in the search for missing persons abroad and/or determination of the whereabouts of South African nationals abroad under certain circumstances.
  • Advice, guidance and support to a parent/guardian in matters of child abduction in collaboration with the Office of the Chief Family Advocate where required, in cases of abduction of South African children to foreign countries. Where there is evidence that the health and safety of the child is in jeopardy, the matter is treated as a priority. DIRCO is not in a position to guarantee the return of the child.
  • Abduction and kidnapping covers forcible restrictions on the freedom of movement of persons for different outcomes. All instances of kidnapping outside of South Africa should be reported to the DIRCO Operations Room immediately (+27-12-351-1000). We provide advice and guidance to the next of kin of the victim.
  • Assistance and guidance to foreign representatives regarding their nationals in South Africa who need Consular assistance.

What services do Consular Officers NOT render to South African citizens?

  • Institute court proceedings or obtain legal advice on behalf of South African nationals locally and abroad.
  • Secure a release from prison/detention of South African nationals, to secure bail or an early trial (in foreign countries);
  • Intervene in court and legal proceedings (in foreign countries);
  • To secure the release of South African Nationals from prison, to secure bail or early trial;
  • Support a South African national financially whilst in prison;
  • Render any form of legal advice;
  • Assist with the transfer of funds to a national who is not in distress;
  • Interfere in or initiate court or legal proceedings on behalf of South African citizens and body corporate;
  • Request local authorities to give preferential treatment to South Africans;
  • Investigate crimes or deaths;
  • Return a child that has been abducted by a parent / family member.
  • Obtain a criminal record check on your behalf;
  • Pay for cremations, burials or the repatriation of mortal remains to South Africa;
  • Enforce a South African custody agreement abroad or compel a country to decide a custody case;
  • Pay hotel, legal, medical or any other bills;
  • Pay travelling expenses;
  • Undertake work done by travel agents, airlines, banks, etc.;
  • Obtain accommodation, visas-, study-, work permits or work on your behalf;
  • Intervene on your behalf in disputes between employer and employee;
  • Store personal effects or search for lost items;
  • Accept personal mail and parcels;
  • Issue pensions and social security benefits;
  • Formally assist dual nationals in the country of their second nationality.

Follow Us on Social Media

Scroll to Top