The Consular section is located at:
3051 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington DC 20008
Hours of operation:
- Submit applications: Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 12:00 Noon
- Pick up: Monday – Thursday: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm. Friday: 8:30 am – 2:00 pm
- Lunch break: Monday – Thursday: 12:45 PM – 1:15 PM
“ The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) has provided a grace period to allow children to travel without unabridged birth certificates, until 30 September 2014.
The requirement of the unabridged birth certificate will come into effect from 01 October 2014.
The above is an interim measure to allow prospective travellers sufficient time to obtain the necessary unabridged birth certificate.”
Consular and Immigration Services contact phone numbers:
- Passports: 202-274-7974 and 202-274 -6636
- Visas and Permits: 202-274-7994 and 202-274- 7985
- Consular after hours “EMERGENCY” phone number: 202 229 4182
Frequently Asked Question (FAQ):
- Question: Do I need a yellow fever certificate?
Answer: Only applicants who previously travelled to countries that have yellow fever are required to submit the certificate.
- Question: How many empty pages do I need to have in my passport?
Answer: At least one empty page must be reserved for stamps at the port of entry.
- Question: What is the acceptable validity of passport to enter South Africa?
Answer: Passport MUST be valid no less than 30 days after the expiry of intended visit.