SA Citizens Services
Areas of Jurisdiction
Embassy of South Africa is responsible for the states of Alabama, Arkansas, District of Colombia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota and South Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Virginia, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands and Wisconsin.
Requirements for applications
- NO APPOINTMENT REQUIRED! Applications and collections will only be accommodated Mon-Thurs between 09h30-12h30
- Applicants are welcome to send/collect their applications/documents via prepaid envelope addressed to the Embassy.
- Civic enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone enquiries: +1 (202) 528 2879 only accommodated Mon-Thurs between 14h00-16h00 and Friday 14h00-15h00.
- Applications for Emergency Travel Certificate, send email to: email@example.com
Application forms not available online to be requested via prepaid envelope. Alternatively, please note requirements for in-person visit:
DHA-9 (Fingerprints for ID & Passport)
DHA-24 (Registration of Birth)
DHA-154 (Birth Certificate)
DHA-24(a) (Late Registration of Birth)
DHA-288 (Affidavit in support of Birth registration)
DHA-1663 (Death Registration)
DHA-1682 (Personal Amendments)
DHA-130 (Marriage Certificate)
DHA-196 (Change of Forename/s)
DHA-1666 (Exemption of RSA Citizenship)
DHA-526 (Change of Surname/s)
DHA-1664 (Retention of RSA Citizenship)
DHA-246 (Renunciation of Citizenship)
ETC (Emergency Travel Certificate)
- DHA-9 Form (fingerprints): requires two signatures, on the front of the form and on the page with fingerprints.
- First time passport application for an adult (16 years and above) must also submit an application for first ID book.
- For more information, click Application requirements and Forms