Whether you’re planning a trip, need consular help, or simply want to learn more about us, we thank you for dropping by our site and hope you find what you’re looking for. If not, don’t hesitate to get in touch…
South Africa is not an island. Our relationships around the world — cultural, social, economic, political — have been and will always be central to our success. This embassy and our missions in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles, are here to build and nurture those relationships in every way we can.
South African Ambassador to United States
Musa Ngqungwana will appear as Colline in La bohème one of the world’s most popular operas.
“The timeless story of a shy seamstress and a passionate poet who chance upon each other on a snowy Parisian evening, La bohème is known for its lush melodies and characters that touch the very heart of our humanity”.
More information: http://www.kennedy-center.org/events/?event=OPOSA
In his newly published autobiography Musa Ngqungwana details his story, from growing up in poverty in South Africa to winning the prestigious Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions in 2013: http://www.musangqungwana.com/musa_publishes_autobiography.html
On 28 October 2014, the National Arts Festival announced that Musa Ngqungwana is one of the six young South Africans winners of the prestigious Standard Bank Young Artist Award.
“One-of–a-kind” Holiday Gifts.
South African Art, Stunning Beaded Crafts, Zulu Baskets Jewelry, Home Décor, Traditional attire.
- Where: Silver Spring Civic Building. Ellsworth Room
1 Veteran Plaza ( Corner of Fenton Street and Ellsworth Drive) Silver Spring, MD 20910
- When: Saturday November 8, 2014
- Time: 10:00 am -6:00pm
- Contact: Southafricanbazaar@hotmail.com
- Free Admission!!
The exquisite young South African soprano, who burst on the scene with triumphant debuts last season at both Milan’s La Scala and the Metropolitan Opera, makes her Washington recital debut.
- When: Thu., Nov. 6, 2014, 7:30 PM
- Where: Terrace Theater, Kennedy Center
- Tickets on sale now
- More information: www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/index.cfm?fuseaction=showEvent&event=RPVSB
To recognise companies, NGO’s and individuals for their exemplary contributions to building a competitive, growing and inclusive South African economy, Brand South Africa and South Africa’s diplomatic missions in the United States are launching the Siyabonga Awards at a gala dinner in New York on Tuesday, October 7.
Siyabonga is isiZulu for “thank you”. Inaugurated on the 20th anniversary of South Africa’s democracy, the awards express the nation’s gratitude to its partners and friends in the US, including expatriates who are part of Brand South Africa’s Global South Africans initiative, for their support in achieving the country’s goals.
Defining those goals, South Africa’s President Jacob Zuma recently told South Africa’s diplomatic corps that promoting trade and investment must be their “apex” priority over the next five years.
Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene will deliver the keynote address at the gala. He will be accompanied by Deputy Reserve Bank Governor Daniel Mminele as well as captains of South African and US industry.
The first cohort of Siyabonga honorees are:
· GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt.
· Soula Proxenos, Managing Partner, International Housing Solutions.
· Albert Maartens, President and CEO, Standard New York Securities, Inc.
· Mary Tiseo, Executive Director, South Africa Partners.
· Donna Katzin, Executive Director, Shared Interests.
· David Dinkins, former Mayor of New York. Continue reading
Keynote address by South African Ambassador Ebrahim Rasool.
Book discussion and screening of documentary film
- Date: Wednesday, 1 October, 2014
- Time: 6:00pm to 8:00pm
- Location: Busboys and Poets 2021 14th St NW Washington, D.C.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @ProfAtuahene | Facebook: /wewantwhatsours | Website: http://wewantwhatsours.com/
- The flyer for the Wednesday public event: http://wewantwhatsours.com/files/2013/03/10-1-washington-dc.pdf
William Kentridge, Leda and the Swan, 1987, charcoal, ink wash, pastel and gouache on paper
- Preview: September 5 – 11, 2014
- Opening Reception: Friday, September 12, 6 – 8 pm
Choosing to stay and raise awareness about their country through art, five of South Africa’s most acclaimed artists respond to their homeland with honesty, passion, directness, and whimsy. The extremely powerful images on display evoke the struggle for a better nation – reaching an audience far beyond South Africa.
- Where: Robert Brown Gallery. 1662 33rd Street NW, Washington, DC 20007
- Exhibition Dates: September 12 – October 4, 2014
- Gallery Hours: Wednesday – Saturday, 12 – 6 pm and also by appointment
- Exhibition Images and Descriptions: http://www.robertbrowngallery.com/exhibitions/exhibitions_page.php?exhibition=current
The Isango Ensemble opens the gate to the Shakespeare Theatre Company’s 2014 – 2015 Season!
The Isango Ensemble’s unique performances reset Western theatre classics within a South African township, utilizing music, dance and elements of South African heritage. The Ensemble will perform an adaption of Mozart’s opera The Magic Flute- Impempe Yomlingo and Shakespeare’s epic love poem Venus and Adonis in repertory at the Lansburgh Theatre September 12-21, 2014.
Receive 25% off all ticket purchases to our special presentation of the Isango Ensemble’s adaptations of Mozart’s The Magic Flute – Impempe Yomlingo and Shakespeare’s Venus and Adonis—with Promo Code: STCIsango25
|Buy Tickets Now|
(Offer will load automatically.) Or call our helpful Box Office Staff at 202.547.1122
- More information: http://www.shakespearetheatre.org/subscribe/presentations.aspx?gclid=CPPz0d3a0cACFQQQ7AodA3UA2Q
The purpose of this advisory is to notify travellers about the Ebola outbreak and inform them about measures they can take to minimize the risks of contracting the disease.
- Read the Travel advisory : http://www.health.gov.za/docs/other/Traveladvisorytoprevent.pdf
Mahlangu and her team will arrive from South Africa in early September 2014 and will remain in Richmond for a month, working daily on the commission. Ndebele painted designs echo the patterns found in their beautifully beaded vestments and jewelry, such as Mahlangu regularly wears to pride fully assert her heritage. The public is welcome to observe her while she works on the paintings and the museum has plans to document her progress. The finished work will be presented to patrons and the public in programs on October 8 and 9. http://vmfa.museum/pressroom/news/important-ndebele-artist-esther-mahlangu-paint-vmfa/
- Admission: Free
- Address: Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
200 N. Boulevard
Richmond, Virginia USA 23220-4007
- For additional information, telephone 804-340-1400 or visit www.vmfa.museum
- Where: Under the Grand Chapiteau at the Plateau at Washington National Harbor
- When: Friday 19 September, 2014
- Time: 8:00 PM
- To buy tickets for this show: CLICK HERE
- This link will take you directly to our online ticket order form: Click here to see the special Cirque du Soleil feature on AMALUNA artist and Zip Zap coach, Melissa Fernandez.